Connect with us

Health

Colleges Strain to Keep Up With Students’ Mental Health Concerns

Published

on

As marks of shame encompassing emotional well-being issues have facilitated, more U.S. undergrads are looking for help for passionate issues, another examination finds.

Analysts investigated information from the Healthy Minds Study, a yearly online review including in excess of 150,000 understudies from 196 grounds.

In 2017, 36 percent of understudies were determined to have emotional well-being issues, contrasted with 22 percent in 2007, the investigation found. Over a similar time range, the level of understudies who detailed self-destructive musings relatively multiplied – from 6 percent to 11 percent.

What’s more, the level of understudies looking for emotional wellness treatment ascended from 19 percent to 34 percent, stressing school wellbeing administrations across the nation.

The most well-known area for understudies to get emotional wellness administrations was on grounds, the investigation found. Almost 12 percent utilized grounds directing focus benefits in 2016-17; around 9 percent utilized other psychological well-being administrations, and around 1 percent utilized crisis mental administrations.

One purpose behind the expanded patient load: Students announced inclination less vilified for looking for help. In 2007, 64 percent said “a great many people think less about a man who has gotten emotional wellness treatment,” contrasted with 46 percent in 2017.

So also, 11 percent said in 2007 that they’d “think less about a man who has gotten emotional well-being treatment.” after ten years, just 6 percent said they felt that way.

“The patterns uncovered in this investigation have stressed directing focuses the nation over, the same number of are under-resourced and work at the full limit with shortlists for a significant part of the year,” the examination creators composed.

Notwithstanding growing the focuses’ ability, expanded utilization of “preventive and computerized psychological wellness administrations, for example, those conveyed through versatile applications,” could help diminish shortlists, the analysts proposed.

Sarah Ketchen Lipson, a right-hand teacher of wellbeing law, strategy and administration at the Boston University School of Public Health, drove the investigation.

Daily Mail News Headlines

Surgisphere: governments and WHO changed Covid-19 policy based on suspect data from tiny US company

Published

on

The World Health Organization and a number of national governments have changed their Covid-19 policies and treatments on the basis of flawed data from a little-known US healthcare analytics company, also calling into question the integrity of key studies published in some of the world’s most prestigious medical journals.

A Guardian investigation can reveal the US-based company Surgisphere, whose handful of employees appear to include a science fiction writer and an adult-content model, has provided data for multiple studies on Covid-19 co-authored by its chief executive, but has so far failed to adequately explain its data or methodology.

Data it claims to have legitimately obtained from more than a thousand hospitals worldwide formed the basis of scientific articles that have led to changes in Covid-19 treatment policies in Latin American countries. It was also behind a decision by the WHO and research institutes around the world to halt trials of the controversial drug hydroxychloroquine. On Wednesday, the WHO announced those trials would now resume.

Two of the world’s leading medical journals – the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine – published studies based on Surgisphere data. The studies were co-authored by the firm’s chief executive, Sapan Desai.

Late on Tuesday, after being approached by the Guardian, the Lancet released an “expression of concern” about its published study. The New England Journal of Medicine has also issued a similar notice.

An independent audit of the provenance and validity of the data has now been commissioned by the authors not affiliated with Surgisphere because of “concerns that have been raised about the reliability of the database”.

Check the original content: Surgisphere: governments and WHO changed Covid-19 policy based on suspect data from tiny US company

Continue Reading

Daily Mail News Headlines

Prof Neil Ferguson still influencing Government’s coronavirus plan despite resigning for breaking lockdown rules

Published

on

Professor Neil Ferguson is still influencing the Government’s coronavirus response, despite having resigned his official position for breaking social distancing rules, it has emerged.

The disease modelling expert, credited with convincing Boris Johnson to embrace a draconian lockdown, relinquished his seat on the Government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) committee in May after The Telegraph revealed he had held trysts with his married lover during the height of restrictions.

The Imperial College London epidemiologist said at the time that he regretted undermining the Government’s message and that, as a result, he had “stepped back from my involvement in Sage”.

Check original content: Prof Neil Ferguson still influencing Government’s coronavirus plan despite resigning for breaking lockdown rules

Continue Reading

Daily Mail News Headlines

Prostate cancer ‘now most commonly diagnosed cancer in UK’

Published

on

By

Prostate cancer is now the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the UK, according to research.

Data analysed by the charity Prostate Cancer UK shows it has overtaken breast cancer to be the most commonly diagnosed form of the disease, with 57,192 new cases in 2018 – the most recent figures available.

This comes just ahead of 57,153 breast cancer cases, 48,054 cases of lung cancer and 42,879 cases of bowel cancer.

Prostate Cancer UK said the news comes a decade earlier than previously predicted, largely due to increased awareness that has led to more men getting diagnosed.

Famous people who have shared their stories include the BBC presenter Bill Turnbull and the actor and comedian Stephen Fry.

Analysis of the figures suggests new cases of prostate cancer have more than doubled over the last 20 years, while about 400,000 men in the UK are living with the disease or have survived it.

More prostate cancers are being caught at the locally advanced stage (stage III), when the disease is more treatable than if it has spread.

However, more men are also being diagnosed at early stage I, when the cancer may never cause harm during their lifetime, and therefore close monitoring rather than aggressive treatment is recommended.

Angela Culhane, the chief executive of Prostate Cancer UK, said: “While it’s good news that more men have been having conversations with their GPs and being diagnosed earlier, it only serves to reinforce the need not only for better treatments which can cure the disease, but for better tests that can differentiate between aggressive prostate cancer that needs urgent treatment and those which are unlikely to ever cause any harm.

“We need research now more than ever, which is why it really is devastating that so much of it has been brought to a standstill by the Covid-19 crisis.

“Accelerating research to recover from this major setback will cost millions, but at the same time we’re predicting an unprecedented drop in our fundraising due to the impact of the pandemic.”

The charity warned the Covid-19 pandemic is leading to a reduction in referrals for all types of cancer, including prostate cancer.

Culhane said: “We know that the Covid-19 pandemic will have knock-on effects on diagnosis and treatment for prostate cancer for some time to come. But as services begin to return to normal, it’s important that anyone with concerns about their prostate cancer risk speaks to their GP or contacts our specialist nurses – particularly if they have any symptoms.

“Men who are most at risk are those aged 50 and over, black men and men with a family history of the disease.”

Turnbull said: “It is really very humbling to think that by sharing my prostate cancer experience I may have helped more men come forward to have those important conversations with their GP and ultimately get diagnosed sooner.

“But with prostate cancer now the UK’s most commonly diagnosed cancer, what we urgently need now is the research to make sure that men get the best tests and treatments possible.

“Sadly, Covid-19 has interrupted so much of this crucial research, which is why I’m supporting Prostate Cancer UK’s fundraising efforts. It’s a difficult time for many of us, but anything you can do will go a long way to making sure we don’t lose momentum in the fight against prostate cancer.”

Prostate cancer does not usually cause symptoms in the very early stages. Later possible symptoms include burning or pain during urination, difficulty urinating, trouble starting and stopping while urinating, more frequent urges to go to the toilet at night, loss of bladder control, poor flow and blood in the urine.

Check original content: Prostate cancer ‘now most commonly diagnosed cancer in UK’

Continue Reading

Trending